Monday, July 6, 2009

How a Bad Friday Lead to a Bad Weekend

Let me start by saying that Friday wasn't actually bad at all. It was a wonderful day in almost every regard. It was a day off of work, which is always nice. My wife and I celebrated five awesome years of marriage. That was great. Really the only thing about Friday that wasn't perfect was that morning's weigh in. The scale showed no loss from last week. It was a downer, and it didn't lead to a weekend of healthy decisions.

Somewhere between the frustration of failing to lose weight and the giddiness of celebrating my anniversary...my diet fell short of being a priority. I didn't bother looking for low calorie champagne at the super market, and I didn't bother limiting my portions of the stuff. Likewise, I partook of plenty of restaurant food this weekend, and I didn't count any of the calories. On the contrary, I think some part of my mind was shooting for a high score. What's more, not only did I not do any working out, I made every effort to avoid doing anything approaching active.

Some weekends I like to see if I can go a day without leaving the house. This was one of those weekends.

Why is it that I couldn't see that 206 on the scale Friday and be galvanized? How come it didn't turn me into the William Wallace of workouts? Instead, I plummeted into a state of culinary denial. "Three day weekend calories don't count, right?"

I'm shaping up this week. I'm planning on swimming at least three times, and I don't plan to miss out on any morning workouts in the living room, either. This way, if the scale says something I don't like on Friday, at least I won't be able to say I didn't try. In that case, clearly the scale is just broken, right?

1 comment:

  1. An anniversary will do it to you! I'm glad you celebrated and enjoyed yourself, and if you're ready to get back to IT, then you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete