Thursday, June 4, 2009

No, I do not want fries with that!

At this point in my life, fast food is pretty much unavoidable. Between meeting that run late and dinners that have to be finished in 15 minutes, I often find myself getting food from places with drive-thrus. Still, I'm learning, just because I need a meal to be fast doesn't mean it has to come with a 1,000 calorie minimum. Last night, I took this high-speed dining to a new level, making healthy choices not just in the selection of an eatery, but also in my choice of side.

Obviously, if I want to lose weight, I shouldn't be going to the burger joints that got me into this predicament. I realize that many of them have healthier alternatives, but they are alternatives to the things I enjoy eating. Moreover, I'm a cheapo, and I like the idea of a value menu. You get a drink, a main course and a side. That's how royalty eat! On the occasions when I've let myself pop into one of these dens of delicious inequity, I don't just get the unhealthy burger, dripping with delectable cheesy, bacon-y grease. I also get the french fries, which I then feel obligated to eat. I don't want to be wasteful. after all. Of course, those fries are only really palatable if you dunk them in that tasty, albeit sugar-filled, ketchup. You see my problem here.

One solution I've found (I think dude named Jared lead me there) is Subway. Once upon a time, in a magical land where instead of being overweight I was a scrawny member of the varsity swim team, I could do damage to a Subway sandwich. I'd go in there and think to my skinny self, "Is a foot long going to be enough to fill me up?" I'd get the thing so filled with fixin's that it took a team of engineers to fold it closed and wrap it in paper. Then I'll trade in the chips for a couple of cookies, fill my cup with regular soda and go to town. Once finished, I'd burp offensively and all the calories would be carried away by the wind...or air conditioning, I suppose.

Today I still frequent Subway, but I have a different strategy. Rather than approaching the menu with an attitude of "What could I fit in my gullet?" I know that I can get a smaller sand which and fill it up with veggies. This way, I'll get full without using up a lot of calories. I will say that it's worth visiting Subway's website. You'll find that many of the tasty sandwiches that aren't included in their list of low-fat options are not as healthy as you might expect. A couple of them even rival the aforementioned burgers.

So that's the main course. What about the sides? Well, I've learned that even those burger joints now offer healthy substitutes for french fries. At Chick-fil-a, for instance, I was able to get a side salad or fruit for just $0.65. That's another opportunity to fill up on food and not fat. At Subway, they take it a step further. Instead of trading in your chips for cookies (shame on you Past James), you can barter them for apples or a cup of yogurt.

Yogurt, I've discovered is more than a little bit awesome. Sure, it's essential milk that has been overtaken by bacteria, but they're delicious bacteria. It's like a desert, but after eating it you'll still respect yourself in the morning. Even better, the stuff somehow expands to fill your gut. That way I don't find myself hungry twenty minutes later, looking for lost skittles in between the seat cushions of my car.

I think my mom would be proud to see me getting a little culture, bacterial or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment