Monday, June 22, 2009

Aaah, Portion Control...Oooh

I didn't do a lot of working out this weekend. I played a little tennis with some friends...really bad tennis, and Saturday I spent the better (or much worse) part of three hours mowing and trimming my yard. My real success, however, came on the dietary front.

Sunday being my first Father's Day as an actual father, my wife let me pick lunch. I'm a sucker for Buffalo wings, so I named a place in Waco (we were there for church) that we used to frequent. I opened the menu and felt my mouth fill with saliva. I knew with certainty that I could give our waitress an order that would have the cooks out back throwing up their hands in surrender. Instead, though, I asked for just one order of wings.

At one point last year, I split 50 such wings with a could friends of mine. Sunday I looked down at just 8. Part of me felt gypped, but I knew that if I ate slowly, it would be more than enough. Indeed, after just five wings (FIVE MEASLY WINGS!) I felt pretty full. The waitress came by asking if we needed anything, and before I knew what I was saying, I asked for a doggie bag.

I don't know if my stomach has shrunk or maybe just my eyes, but I really did feel full all afternoon, and now I get some wings for lunch. I've never been the kind of person who could leave food on a plate, but I guess I'm slowly becoming that guy. Which is good, because diet or no, I'll never be able to swear off wings. I can just swear off gorging on them until I lose consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment