Thursday, August 20, 2009

M-W-F? More like W-T...

Last night I was pretty sure I knew what I'd be blogging about this morning, my first trip to the Belton High School pool. I was right...sort of.

One of the reasons I had decided to give the Belton pool a try was that it was open from 5:30 to 7 for sunrise swim. That meant I could go super early, get a longer swim in than I had been at the Summit and still be home to help Tara out with baby Sydney. With that in mind, I set my alarm this morning for 5 a.m. so that I could get there as close to the pool's opening as possible.

If you are someone you regularly gets up up at 5 a.m., and you are not a vampire, I want to hug you. You must need hugs. It has to be a lonely existence. You know you was out walking the streets at 5 this morning? Serial killers. I can't prove that. I didn't see them killing anyone, but I can only assume they were up early, getting a jump on stalking their prey.

Myself, I'm not sure my level of consciousness would actually meet the medical definition of "awake." It was more of a mobile coma, really. Honest to Pete, when my alarm first went off, I turn on the TV trying to figure out how to shut it up. My wife, she was a big fan of that. Big fan.

Somehow, lurching around the quiet house like Frankenstein's monster, I managed to put on my swim suit and clothes, grab a pair of sandals, and get myself into the car. I followed the directions on my phone to Belton High School, and I got out, ready to roll.

If you've never seen it before, the Belton High School pool is gorgeous. It looks really beautiful...through its glass doors. That's as close as I got. You see, the sheet with the pools hours was posted outside the facility. I had seen the sheet online yesterday as I made my plans. What I somehow failed to see next to the sunrise swimming hours were three of the most damning letters in the alphabet, "M-W-F."
That's right, I got my not-so-perky butt out of bed early this morning, only to learn that the pool I was supposed to be swimming in wasn't open this morning. If there was any caloric burn to match the scalding self-loathing I felt in that moment, I probably would have been able to watch my waist shrink before my eyes. I drove the whole way home floating in the stink of my own stupidity.

I was in a pretty bad mood when I got home at 6 (20-30 minutes before I had planned to be getting out of the water). In that moment, I knew the only thing that would cheer me up was to spend time with my loved ones. Of course, my beautiful wife and baby were way to smart to be awake at that hour, so I settled for the next best thing, our big orange dork of a dog, Sulley.

So it was that this morning, instead of getting in a good swim, I slipped on my super-ugly-but-awesomely-comfy-calf-amplifying shoes, and took my dog for a morning run. At least he was happy about the way the morning had gone.

1 comment:

  1. you are so GOOD for taking the dog for a run, I think I would have slipped back into bed!

    ReplyDelete