Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Final Countdown

Well, here it is, my last day of free living. It's not that I'm getting married or enlisting tomorrow, it's just that tomorrow marks the first day of my year-long effort to lose weight and get healthy..

I'm making this effort as part of the City of Temple's new community wellness campaign, Commit 2 Fit. Commit 2 Fit is a fantastic new program being offered to Temple residents as part of a partnership with Scott & White and Kings Daughters hospitals. It has many facets, including: a calendar of special events and activities, web health tips, and the Fit to Tell blog series.

The goal of this series is not to provide readers with a sugar-coated account of getting healthy. These journals will be honest about all the highs and all the lows of this process. The reality is, we all know that getting healthy is essential to living a longer, fuller life, but sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it stinks, and sometimes it is no fun at all. We're going to be open about all these things. We're going to talk about what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong, and what kinds of results we're getting.

All of this is to say, tomorrow morning I'm going to get up before the crack of dawn and haul my unwilling backside down to the Summit Family Fitness Center. I don't know yet what I'm going to do when I get there, but I do know that I'm going to need your support and encouragement if I'm going to have any success. I'll also need you to hold me accountable to my own goal. That means that if, starting Friday, you see me eating cookie dough...you have my permission to slap me around a bit.

As for today...I'm going to drink all the real soda I can find, and I do believe that there are some fetal cookies in the fridge with my name on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment